2009-09-01

Religious dresscodes

I have just read a discussion in a Laestadian site in USA about how to dress in different situations, I found out that you can dress more free if you are not a member. I thought about that earlier this Summer when I met two Jehova's women and noticed their extremly ugly clothes, it is the same with the men, ugly suits. I don't know, but I don't think that ugly clothes makes you less Christian, or that you get less chances to go to Heaven. Mormons have a kind of uniform too, when I see these, my instincts say immediately, I don't want to have your fucking information when I am out walking, believe what you want, but leave me alone. This Summer it was a Laestadian Bigmeeting near my house, and I was surprised, for the first time it was kids there who looked like ordinary kids, no long skirts,purses, long hair.
There were a lot of them of course,probably because of no TV and condoms. I say like Groucho Marx, I like my cigar, but I take it out sometimes. I have readers from USA that might be offended of some subjects that I am writing about, I can be a little provocative, but if not this blog should be so boring so I couldn't stand reading it myself. A little filminformation, Elina(As if I didn't exist), see it on Youtube is a very good film from Tornevalley. It was another thing that struck me when I read the site, it was about a filmlist about Laestadians, our Laestadians here don't go to a movie, it is sin. Is it different in USA?

3 comments:

  1. It depends on what Laestadian group you are from. The most liberal group of Laestadians in USA have no dress code and the kids and grown ups look like ordinary kids everywhere, pierced ears, shorts, make-up, etc. The most restricted groups have to have long hair, no make-up or earings, etc. There are 7 groups in the USA. They are spread out so much and are so distanced even from others that they often don't know of the others' existence. I grew up Laestadian, but I was only aware of three groups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Grandfather was a West Laestadian or OALC as you say in USA. He died 1927 and his family left the Laestadians when his father died 1936.
    In my village there were both East and West.
    I use to watch how they are dressed when they have the big meeting near my house in the Summer. It is the same with Jehovas, same type of clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most liberal Laetadians in the USA go to movies. Probably there are 3 branches of movie watch Laestadians, 1 branch that is on the fence, and 3 branches dead-set against movies.

    ReplyDelete