2009-07-03

Peter Freuchen

I read a lot when I was young, there were two libraries in the village, the Good Templar's and the Social Democrat's. I read almost all books there.
My favourite books were about trappers,golddiggers,indians,briefly about the hard life in the North. I have Canadian connections now, my Grandson is half Canadian, so when my son had been to the Hudson Bay Company Museum in Winnipeg, he asked me if I knew about Hudson Bay. I was the right person to ask, I know a lot. I have met an author from Jokkmokk, Hans Anderson, who has travelled around the Arctic Circle in 30-40 years and written about people, and I have read most of it, I bought one of his books when I was a teenager. I liked to paddle and walk in the forest and in the mountains. About Peter Freuchen, he was a Danish author and polarexplorer, dead 1957.
He and Knud Rasmussen, a half inuit, founded the Danish tradestation Thule, now an American militarybase on Greenland 1909. They made many polarexpeditions, Knud Rasmussen died in one of them, and Peter Freuchen wrote books about it. I read them all. He had only one leg, he had been trapped under the snow with his sleigh once and couldn't find any other way to survive than making a crap, form a tool, let it freeze and dig himself out.He lost his leg. He also took the MGM lion to USA. My first memories of golddigging was when a man was in Folkets Hus at home and showed goldsand. I have always admired all explores who risked their lifes 100-110 years ago when they discovered the world. Ernest Shackleton was outstanding when he rescued his men with a boat between Elephant Island in Antarctic and South Shetland Islands.

No comments:

Post a Comment