2009-07-06

The Summerhouse

Many of the workers in the village had Summerhouses on the islands, it was a freedom from the low life houses we lived in, hired from the Company. It wasn't high standard on the houses,they were mostly built of wood from older houses. My Grandfather died 1927,36 years old three months before my dad was born. My Grandmother was 29, and was left alone with seven children. They lived in an old cow house. She lived there till 1957, when she and a man, Anton built a new house beside the old one. My dad took the wood and built the Summerhouse 1958. He hired a mason to make the fireplace and the chimney. He lived in a tent there. I was told once that he had no money to food for his family, so he took the gun and shot a brick from his neighbour's chimney so he was hired to fix it. We had a sauna there, and others came there to take a bath. We lived there on the island many Summers, it was a nice life. Now the house belongs to my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment