2009-07-30

Scotland

I have always, since I read Walter Scott as a teenager, been interested in Scotland.
Now I have been there in ten days, I am on my way home and I am for the moment in Stockholm. Tomorrow I will go home with Tapani's. Scotland was all that I had hoped it should be, friendly people, a fantastic town, Edinburgh, a beautiful,wild landscape, highlanders with an appearence that I had never imagined, some looked like vikings. I was at a clangathering, Prince Charles and Camilla were there, I saw them on a bigscreen. Some of them had long swords to the ground, some had old fashion tartans, a very long blanket wrapped around them like a kilt and over the shoulder. Some looked like Willie in Simpsons. I saw also a clanleader, a Laird, he had an aura of a man with hundreds of years of tradition behind him. My reason to go to Scotland wasn't this, it's only a bonus, it was to see my Grandson, four weeks old today. His other Grandfather from Canada was there too, we met for the first time, and we became friends. Our first Grandson is a big moment for us. We saw a lot interesting, for example Loch Ness, Rosslyn Chapel, known for the Da Vinci Code. A very interesting thing about that chapel, built 50 years before Columbus is the statues and carvings in the walls. They show corn, an American plant. There was a text there that said that Temle Knights had been in America in the middle of 1300 and met indians who had corn. Many of them we talked with seemed to know their history much more than we know about our. I'll finish here for today, but I will write more about Scotland later.

No comments:

Post a Comment