2009-07-10

Tahiti

I am interested in my family's history, I know all generations on my father's side as far back as 1425, and on my wife's side to 1580. She has a familybook with 15000 names, I have found one of them in Papeete, Tahiti. She is a famous culturperson in the Pacific, from Finnish Pello. I have helped a man from Tahiti who collects all editions on paperback in all languages of Jostein Gaarder's Sophies world. He use to go to the local bookshop and talk to this woman, and I found out that she is in the same familybook as me. The world is small. He also told me about Paul Gauguin who died in Tahiti 1903. His Grandfather who was a sailor from Stockholm had helped him to build a house there, where he painted and carved wood sculptures. They didn't like Gauguin, and when he died he sent his son to clean up the house. He found a lot of junk there, drawings,paintings,sculptures. The Grandfather told his son to burn everything. A few things were saved, one was sold to the Swedish National Museum for big sum of money. Imagine what it had been worth today. Another artist who wasn't popular was Claude Monet, he had contract to paint from a company, and they didn't like that all paintings looked the same.Vincent van Gogh sold only one painting in his life and cut off his ear. I read a while ago that someone said that it was Gauguin who had cut off van Gogh's ear. Van Gogh shot himself. It isn't easy to be an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment