2009-06-21

M.A. Numminen

Mauri Antero Numminen is a Finnish singer with a very special way of singing. He and his accordion companion Pedro Hietanen has been very poular in Sweden since the sixties. He sings covers of popular melodies in his very own way, he even sings texts by the German philosopher Wittgenstein. I use to sing like M.A. by myself; "Like a ball I come back to you" Gymmiboll (Rubberball).
As I said earlier, I worked two Summers, 1975 and 1976 at a camp for youth from Stockholm, it was hiking,waterskiing,paddling,bathing, activities that I like and it was well payed. One summer there was a boy who couldn't walk when we were hiking, I had to take him in my car and go to the hospital, they sent us to a bigger hospital to have an x-ray. I had the radio on in the car and suddenly we heard M.A. Numminen.
We sang Katten också, hon har vackra öökon (Cheepers creepers). The boy laughed,I think it was easier for him at that moment, because after the x-ray he was sent back to Stockholm in a taxi with a bed, 700 km. M.A. is the only one I know who plays with telephone catalogs.
He played at Skansen, Stockholm 2007, do I need to say that I was walking outside and heard him.

No comments:

Post a Comment