2009-06-20

Spyaffair II, the Morjärvman

There are two Kalixcounties, upper and lower, and upper, Överkalix has been known lately for criminality. There are only 4000 inhabitants in the county, and very few policemen. The dialect is impossibe to understand for others than themselves, the lowerkalix dialect is very slow "A machinegun sounds paa paa paa paa, but much faster".
Morjärv, or Murderjärv as I sometimes call it is on the border between these two.
Many outlaws seem to like to live there, but 30 years ago it was known for the Morjärvman, Sanfrid Eriksson.
I had finished my military duty in March 1974 and hadn't any work yet, so I was skiing on the seaice among other things. One day when I had been out several hours, I had been skiing maybe 15 km, a man was waiting for me at home, he was talking Överkalixdialect. "Heej,my name is Sanfrit Eeriksson". He came from the Statistic Central Bureau and should interview me. I didn't know that he should come, and he had been waiting several hours. He interviewed me again later, it was a tooth investigation, so he called me every third month. It was fun to hear from him when I was working at a summercamp for Stockholm youth.
He lived in Morjärv and some years later he was arrested and locked in in the Policehouse in Haparanda for spying for Soviet.
The Security Police had followed him in 10 years, an informer lived in his house.
In his work he had driven on military roads that were forbidden for foreigners, he knew that they followed him, so he made an extra turn near the military buildings, they even helped him once when he had driven outside the road.
The big newspapers wrote about him, but it ended up with that he was reliesed, totally innocent. He got a lot of money for his suffering and traveled around the world. The only planes he had photographed were Russian, from a train outside Leningrad.

No comments:

Post a Comment