2009-06-29

The wildlife in Haparanda

I read in Haparandabladet this morning that a woman had seen a bear when she was jogging outside central Haparanda, only 3 km from our house. I have seen tracks every time when we have been in the forest to pick berries. I have liked to walk in the forest before, but now it doesn't feel good, especially as I have a dog, which can make them more aggressive. I have seen lynx tracks too, only 200 m from the house, it had chased a hare. The most worrying animal here is the raccoon dog, it looks like a fat fox or a mix between raccoon and dog. It spreads diseases, you can get sick if you go somewhere where it has been, and here in Haparanda it is the biggest population in Sweden. IKEA's closest neighbours are the musk rats, very aggressive if you piss them off, they jump towards the neck, I saw one just 2 m from me when I was walking to the shop, the tail was thick as a cycle handlebar.We have also hedgehogs right behind the house, they have a grumpy sound. There are beavers in the county, I haven't seen anyone here, but when I was young, I saw one beside the canoe when I was paddling. When we are driving on E4, we always have too look for moose, if you hit one in 100 you are dead. I have hit one once, and have been close several times. There are also two kinds of seals here. There is always a risk to hit a reindeer too when you are driving, but they are so small so you don't end up dead. Every reindeer has an owner, so they are not wildlife. This was just a little information, maybe someone finds it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment